Friday, October 11, 2013

Harvest

My head is swimming.

I, like everyone in our show, am crazy busy.

But I have to take a moment and share my feelings based on rehearsal last night.

Getting a show on its feet is not easy. At all. And, strictly based on my past experiences directing, RENT is a particular challenge.

Given our approach.  Given the wall-to-wall musical score.  Given it's not a carbon copy of Michael Grief's original and now iconic Broadway staging.

The weeks of wood-shedding, piece meal blocking, organic orgasms and created community are now a reality.  And, at a certain point, every community changes.  Not in a bad way. But individual dynamics emerge that change the warmth to various and other essential vibes.  

Here's what I see:

  • serious commitment
  • confusion
  • frustration
  • beauty
  • discoveries
  • going there
  • accountability
  • worry
  • hope
  • apathy
  • clusterfucks
  • terror
  • tears
  • erections
  • black fabric
  • life
That shit is community in the true sense.  It's collaboration and compromise.  

And, clearly, it's where we all need to be right now.  I can't explain why.  

I may not be every community member's favorite person right now.  Fine.  I'm good with that.  I may (and have) missed deadlines.  That's life.  I may (and have) pushed individual buttons.  That's life.  I may (and have) high expectations.  That's me.  And worth it; based on my perspective last night.

It's harvest time...in every sense.  Here's where the community kool-aid  kicks in.  The list above, the ego-maniacal paragraph above...proof positive that our amahzing dysfunctional group is dealing.  Coping and adjusting.  Enjoying and understanding the process.

Many cast members have never been in a show. Loves. The harvest (in various contexts) is not easy.  But the crop, well it's some dank and tasty shit.  

Get ready cast, audience, and all involved to pack your bowls and harsh your mellow.  

It's harvest time.

No comments:

Post a Comment