Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Better than...ice cream

Rehearsal was not what I expected last night.  LOVES.

Listening to the ensemble wood-shed for a solid 90 minutes, then listening to sounds I've never heard at Upstage...well it was better than...ice cream.

So, dripping with sweat, and a feeling of major progress - the ensemble was done for the night.  After hours of cleaning, reading, thinking, discussing, sharing, processing and singing (and singing and singing),  they needed time to chill.

I have to say, this is an invested cast.  Hardcore.  The bond I hoped for has grown into (this word is used a lot...because it's true) a community.  A community that can't be facilitated or fabricated.  This shit is authentic.

Check out the blogs (www.rent4change.com). The cast has started (and wants) to share their experiences. Take some time to check them out.  They're better than...ice cream.

So ensemble excused.  The  principals then started digging into their material.

I do concurrent rehearsals at this stage.  Every one's time is valuable.  No sitting around.  For those not working with the music directors, I paired up and had them do scene work on their own.

I'm a bit of a control freak, but allowing individuals (on their own) to work scenes organically after the hours of table work blew me away.  I would check-in with each group.  For example, checking in with Roger and Mark I did a little activity:

"Mary had a little lamb."

Who?
Mary.
What did Mary do?
Had a lamb.
What size?
Little.
So, Mary had a little lamb.
Yes, Jesse.

What were they saying? Anything? Is it getting lost in translation? Are the tunes helping to drive the story, or do they just want to sound like rock stars?

Maureen and Joanne went downstairs and outside.  When I checked in, they were on track. Take me or Leave me?  They stood far apart.  Then nose to nose.  Then organic.  I'm sure the neighbors loved it. Then as time ended , I had them do it again, walking up the huge staircase.  BOOM.

After years of summer stock blocking, I'm learning to let the cast find their own starting point, and just adding a tweak here and there to allow more freedom to explore. Be bold.  Make choices.  High stakes.

Letting go is a challenge, but heeding a-mah-zing results.  And while perhaps (ok, for sure) my control issues will change as we get the show on its feet, last night was better than...ice cream.

Bluntly,
Brigadude

No comments:

Post a Comment